Monday, October 30, 2006

Movie Project Reflections

WOOOOO!! It is done! My entire weekend was devoted to editing. I consider it a special torture that I was never able to see my film in real time until I had posted on the YouTube. Yes, it is there. It is not perfect, but it is on the internet! That is so cool!

Okay, I had to get that out.

The process: First, I filmed everything on my Canon A530 digital camera. My film took up less than 1 GB of memory. All my footage transfered easily to my old PC through Windows XP Movie Maker. I saved my progress often to my PC and additional 1 GB memory stick. Movie Maker was very easy to work with. When I finally finished editing, I saved my film to a CD. It took about 5 hours for my film to be recorded. Finally, I uploaded my video from the CD to YouTube, which took about an hour. I still cannot believe it worked so well.


Complaints: Coming up with a story, writing a screenplay, and filming takes a lot of time and preparation. I am pleased with my results, but I felt very rushed. Providing students with class-time five days a week will be advantageous when I teach a secondary class to make movies. Having updated technology is crucial to timely completion of the editing process. In my situation, I was never able to see my editing progress in anything more than still images. It was ardouos to sequence video and audio the way I wanted.

Having said that, the finished product is sequeced better than I expected. I found editing to be highly addictive, but also very stressful. The most rewarding aspect of the movie project was being able to make my work available on the internet without any problems. Friedman's talk on the connectivety of software is very exciting, but witnessing it first hand is even more powerful.

I hope you all view my film, and do not be afraid to comment here or on YouTube.

7 comments:

Alex Reid said...

Looks like you had fun with it Matt.

James said...

Matt, that is highly awesome. Best use of a mechanical pencil in a film, by far. Zombie Chaucer will rank among the greatest movie monsters of all time. His name will be uttered in the same breath as Freddy, Jason, Jaws, and that creepy girl from every Japanese horror movie ever made. I hope Boccaccio shows up for the sequel.

It was also technically excellent. I don’t know how you removed every color except for orange, but that was really cool. And I had no idea that you and your dog could bust those funky dance moves. Nice!

++And bonus points for the Evil Dead reference.

-James

Dave E. said...

LOL and a half! The only thing that could have made this better would have been a cameo by me.

After watching this movie and James' movie, I'm quite unhappy with my seventeen-and-a-half minute documentary-style effort. Blah.

Anonymous said...

Matt, do you have a good therapist? K

Sarah said...

Great movie. I am also curious about the colors in your movie. Watching these movies just shows how many different ways you can go with a project that is this open-ended. I feel like I am still struggling with a "report" mentality when it comes to my projects. You and James both took this project in a totally different direction, which is really helpful when I think of ways I could use this in the classroom. Thanks.

Matt said...

Everyone,
thank you for your comments.

Mrs. Brenneck said...

Matt, it was really a pleasure to watch your movie. I knew when you told me about your idea that it would be a good one. I also loved that you brought Halloween into the class, as it's my favorite Holiday!

I agree that the editing process is addicting; who knew?



The Giants will go as far as Eli takes them.