Thursday, October 19, 2006

NYSEC

Professor Stearns, Jack, James, Dave, Chrissy, Dawn and I presented at the NYSEC conference earlier today. The conference was held in a fancy hotel in Albany. Inside the hotel, it was like a little village. I attended an interesting presentation on analyzing the juxtaposition of text and image in Maus and Persepolis. Overall, their analysis was both thorough and insightful. However, it was disappointing that the presenters of Persepolis, who have been using Persepolis in the classroom, admittedly know very little about the historical context. Having an informed understanding of the historical context, especially when dealing with Iran in our current political climate, can really aid students in dispelling certain stereotypes.

We had a great turnout for our presentation; our small room was packed. Professor Stearns did a great job getting things started and bringing closure to our presentation. The bulk of the presentation consisted of us leading small group discussions on applying nontraditional topics into the English classroom. My presentation was on graphic novels. I felt satisfied with my performance in terms of answering teachers’ questions, recommending appropriate texts, and representing this expanding medium.

But my NYSEC experience also taught me how to how to crash a wine tasting:

1: Walk past the registration table at the door with authority.
2: Mingle.
3: Find a glass; it is your admission ticket.
4: Mingle, study the vender’s wines, and find a friendly wine vendor.
5: Say “that’s bold,” or swish the wine in your mouth.
6: If asked: “Do you own a store or a vineyard?” Owning a store in Binghamton or Cortland are acceptable answers.
7: When revealing any further personal information to a vendor consult James.
8: When in doubt, abort wine tasting and go to NYSEC sponsored cocktail.

Great conference

Dave, you were a good roomate, but you can't steal my jacket.

8 comments:

Tracie said...

Congratulations, Matt, Jack, James, Dave, Chrissy, and Dawn! How exciting to actually present at a conference. I have to admit that I am a little jealous because it sounds like a great experience but I am very proud of you guys and happy for you as well. And, Matt, your instructions for crashing a wine-tasting were absolutely hilarious. I could just picture you guys swirling wine and purporting to own stores in Cortland and Binghamton. Leave it to James to be the mastermind behind this adventure. Thanks for sharing with us, you really brightened my day.

Anonymous said...

Only Hollywood is next Matt. You were wonderful with teachers yesterday. Thank you!! All of you made me look very good. It was a great session for everyone who was lucky enough to come to hear us.

I'll be sure to keep your instructions on how to crash a wine tasting in mind. But as you saw, I'm partial to water! K

Matt said...

Thank you for the positive feedback Tracie, and thank you for the excessive flattery Professor Stearns.

Dave E. said...

Yeah, I meant to e-mail you re:jacket, but, you know... lazy.

I also need to thank James for his expertise in bluffing his way through wine vendor questions. I was frozen in place, ready to be thrown out of the hotel and/or arrested. James' calm under pressure was simply astounding.

Anonymous said...

James is always calm under pressure Dave.

Matt, the flattery is well deserved praise. I'm not easy to impress--you know that.

So who stole whose jacket? K

James said...

I don't want everyone thinking I'm a professional conference-crasher. This was my first time.

But it was fun. And we did do some educational-type things. Good time, everyone.

Dawn Larson said...

Matt,

We'll keep those tips in mind for next year!

~Dawn

Oh yeah, American Born Chinese was hilarious. I had to finish it as soon as I got home, and my husband thought I was losing it when I started laughing out loud (he later found out the humor was most entertaining after I showed him the book...).

How long is BONE?

KatieL said...

I feel left out, the conference sounds like it was a blast. I too will keep your instructions for crashing a wine tasting in mind. It's funny that you posted about this because DiCicco told us a funny story about a wine tasting in class on Thursday night. Don't worry that's the most exciting thing you all missed- no bawdy fabliau tale this week.

I'm glad your presentation was well attended. I feel like those of us who took the other ENG 619 class are so behind in the world of YA Lit. You'll have to enlighten us.



The Giants will go as far as Eli takes them.